Friday, September 24, 2010

Boys...and their broken bones.

So this isn't Miller's first broken bone, he broke his collarbone two years ago, but it was our first trip to the ER. I sent Miller and Denton and Sawyer downstairs to pick up the toys they got out, and I heard Miller start crying. I look over to the stairs and he is getting to the top holding his arm and telling me that he hurt it. As you can see, it is clearly broken. I stared at it for a second thinking it didn't look right until it really set it that he was seriously hurt. I tried to get him to lay on the couch, but he kept trying to get up and was flinging that poor arm all over the place. I made a quick call to Bret and he headed home right away. Miller cried until Bret got there and then he was okay. Bret got him to take this picture. Bret took this one on the way to the hospital.
They got us right in, and luckily the ortho surgeon was already there because he was just finishing putting a cast on another little boy with the same break. The only other time Miller cried was when they put in the IV. They had to poke him twice!
The staff was amazed at how calm he was. They went ahead and did his x-rays and exam without any meds he was so cooperative. They did have put him out so they could set the bone and they don't allow the parents in the room for that. These are his before and after x-rays. Nice job, Doc!

When we got back to the room he was higher than a kite on the drugs they gave him. He was so funny to talk to. I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he said, "I want smarties! Wait...Mom, what are smarties?"
It was very entertaining.


Home from the ER. He is one tough kid. When I asked him how he did it he said, "Well, Denton and Sawyer and I were jumping off the couch. They jumped and didn't get hurt. And I jumped three times and didn't get hurt. Then I got hurt on the last time I jumped." Bret told him that he has broken his arm five times and told Miller how each one happened. That's the first things he tells anyone who comes to visit. Hopefully Miller won't have the bad luck his dad did.




2 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is scary! My kiddos are always jumping off the couch and I keep telling them not to cuz we know another two year old that broke his arm doing that. Now after seeing Miller's Scott kinda believes me that it may be dangerous. Boys are so crazy! Glad he is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh miller! that picture makes my skin crawl a little. he is so tough!

    ReplyDelete